General instructions for the open orienteering performance in KOW open courses:
Read and download KOW Competition instructions -> Competition info -> Competition instructions
- Follow the organizer's instructions regarding the arrival at the competition center
- Find Open courses info at the competition center
- Explore route options and maps:
- The open courses of maps and routes can be seen in advance in the open courses info, which makes it easier to choose a suitable route.
- The courses of open courses and control descriptions have been pre-printed on the map (as in the competition categories)
- Choose a skill and distance level that suits fo you
- Registration to open courses is possible either in advance by the IRMA-service or on site by filling in the registration form and paying the participation fee.
- On-site open courses participation fees can be paid in cash, credit / debit cards, Smartum sports and cultural notes, Tyky note and Virike banknotes.
- Emit punching system is used in the open courses. If you do not have your own emit card, you can rent the card for either day (5 €) or full week (15 €) from open courses info.
- For safety reasons, the use of the Emit card is compulsory for all orienteers, as this is the only way we can control that orienteers have arrived from the terrain to the finish. In the family courses, one emit card can be used by more than one person, such as a child with their parents etc.
- You will receive a competition number on-site in the competition centre from the open courses info (competition number must be attached to the front of the shirt in the visible position).
- The registration form can be printed here and fill it in advance to speed up your registration on-site.
- All open courses start in start area 5
- You can go to the starting point whenever you want during the open courses opening hours - NOTE! Check the race-day access to the forest from the KOW competition instructions or the open courses instruction
- Sign up for the start officials (at the start area you will be asked for the competition number, emit number and track/course)
- the map can be obtained from the start area
- the emit card reset is on the start area (when orienteer is starting)
- Go round the orienteering course in numerical order
- Do the Emit punching with each control point and remember to check the control point code
- Remember that court yards, farmed fields and prohibited areas that are marked on the map are prohibited by orienteers
- Select the number 5 for the goal line
- Do the final Emit punching in the finish line
- Walk by following the officials instructions to the Emit checkpoint tent
- In open courses and family course timekeeping is used but prizes based on ranking are not distributed. Also, in the open courses and the family course overall results are not calculated
- Course-specific results will be published on the scoreboard of the competition center and on the website
- Every day, all participant in open categories lots drawn daily distribute prizes - be sure to check out on the open course info if you have won
Welcome to the open series of the Kainuu Orienteering week to orienteering!
NOTE! Check the validity of your insurance (eg leisure accident insurance) in orienteering events. Different insurance companies have different reimbursement practices. On the organizer side, the launching event is insured with the insurance of the Finnish Olympic Committee.